Friday, February 29, 2008

The Back Story

I have long felt that I'm under educated when it comes to investing and managing my savings. I have some vague understanding of stocks and mutual funds, but couldn't tell you how to judge a good buy from a bad one. As a result, I have had mixed results with the mutual funds I've held in the past, tending to lose money almost as often as I profit.

So, when my grandparents gave me a large gift for my 25th birthday, I finally decided it was time to do something about it. My first step was to sign up for an investment course. I decided to skip out on the free seminars provided by the banks, figuring that they exist to push their own products, and signed up for a course offered by the University of Alberta called "The Art and Science of Investing." I'm now halfway done the course, and have received far more information than I would have thought possible in 6 2-hour sessions.

Now it's time to put some of this new knowledge into practice. I'm starting this blog to share what I learn, keep myself motivated, and hopefully help other beginners.

No comments: